
Creativity
Individual Creativity
One
of the hardest interview questions I’ve faced this year has been “When was a
time when you were creative?” The worst part about this question was that I
worked in an advertising agency where creativity was absolutely mandatory for
survival, however, my particular position allowed almost zero opportunities to
be creative. My position as a media buyer was very mundane and routine. I
worked on clients such as American Honda and Acura Motors and these were both
clients that the agency had held for over thirty years. Media planners
allocated budgets by market and we implemented very structured buys, with
little variation from year to year. This was one of the main reasons I decided
I needed to come back to school and pursue an MBA. I craved creativity in my
life, and a job that allowed me to brainstorm ideas, pitch them, and work cross
functionally with various departments. One of my best experiences during my
years at my old ad agency was when I started taking Ad Bookshop classes. For a
period of time I was extremely interested in the creative side of advertising
and wanted to explore the possibility of becoming an art director. I took night
classes for three 9-week semesters trying to develop skills to build my own
portfolio. These classes were invigorating and really allowed me to explore my
creative side. Although, I feared I did not have the artistic skills necessary
for such a role. A positive aspect of this class was that we were reassured that the ideas behind our ads were far more
important that the artwork we displayed. I really enjoyed exploring this career
path but ultimately there was a great deal of work I knew was ahead of me and
feared the stress and uncertainty of pursuing this path. Also, I was just flat
out afraid I wasn’t “creative” enough to actually be an art director. At the
time, I believed creativity to be an inherent skill if you were going to be
extremely successful, and not something you could learn. All my life, I was
envious of people I thought were truly creative and gifted; whether it was
friends who were amazing stylists, artists, interior designers, copy writers,
art directors, etc. I have always felt I wasn’t good enough to have a truly
creative role but I'm hoping that my MBA experience and future role as a brand
manager will boost my confidence!
Organizational Creativity
Obviously
working at an advertising agency I was surrounded by extremely gifted and
creative individuals. I believe our organization was very creative and has done
a tremendous amount of great work for our clients. This has been particularly
evident in the success of Honda over the last 30+ years, and the fact that our
agency has been able to retain this client for so long. However, I do believe
our agency was conservative in terms of really stepping out of the box with
their creativity and advertisements in comparison to other agencies. This is
partially due to the agency and in large part due to the client. I think a lot
of times creative’s (art directors and copywriters) feel that their creativity
is stunted by client guidelines. There is a constant battle between creative’s
trying to impress clients and have their ideas accepted. It was particularly
interesting and exciting to witness the agency in a full-scaled pitch for new
business. These pitches involved a lot more creativity and agency wide involvement
(strategic planning, media, creative, account etc.). I also think that in terms
of successful advertising it is important to gain the input of all departments
within the agency to gain insight, rather than just the creative department
working in isolation, which is what I believe our agency could have improved
upon. Every department was very independent, however the companies overall
mission was to create one cohesive brand message for our clients. I believe
greater success would have stemmed from cross-functional collaboration. However,
this might have been something that was implemented from a top-line
perspective, that I was unaware of since I was at the bottom of the ladder.
Individual/Organizational Creative
Capabilities
I
believe I have what it takes to be creative by myself, but that I need an
opportunity to explore my creative side and a confidence booster. It’s also
difficult for me to really get my ideas down on paper. I think I am also afraid
to pitch my ideas and often find myself presenting them in a joking manner because I’m
afraid of rejection. I’m very much
looking forward to opportunities this summer in my internship at Wal-Mart to work on projects where I’m able to practice my creative side and gain feedback on my
particular projects. I most certainly also believe that a group within an
organization is capable of being creative. I think this ability is enhanced by
a company culture that encourages and rewards creativity and innovation. Our
world is definitely moving towards one where continuous innovation is pretty
much vital to a companies ability to stay alive and often times this is born in teams.
How to be Creative by Jonah Lehrer
I think this
article poses a lot of great points but that it is often difficult to see things within oneself such as
the ability for everyone to be truly creativity and that it’s a set of
cognitive skills you can work and improve upon. I think it’s extremely
beneficial to note that the toughest problems are solved in moments of insight
(i.e. post-it note example). I also think it's true that if you feel
like you’ve hit a wall it will be very hard to spark creativity, and that by
stepping back and relaxing (or nothing thinking) one can have a better chance
of developing an insight. Additionally, I agree with the author’s statement that
creativity can be improved upon if we increase the volume and diversity of
information to which we are exposed. I don’t necessarily think we can always
trust ourselves to know if one approach is right over another, but that it’s
important to discuss your ideas with others and gain support to really push an
insight all the way.
Hi Janet – What an interesting dynamic to have such a structured position at an ad agency. Good luck at Wal-Mart and good job on the blog entry.
ReplyDelete